Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Thank You




"Thank you." Those two words we say and hear all the time. I can tell you from personal experience that when I tell someone "thank you" now it takes on a whole new meaning.

With this disease the patient sooner or later must depend on everyone around them to make decisions for them, to care for them, to remind them of the simplest of things.

People don't understand this, they don't have to deal with it so like the disease itself it's out of sight out of mind.

Everyone I deal with today, from my wife, to our daughter, to Leeanne, to the person at the corner grocery store, everyone I have to rely on.

When I go to the store and purchase anything they could tell me "It'll be $10.32 please." I hand them a a twenty and they could give me back $2 in change and I would say "Thank you, have a nice day".

I am grateful this doesn't happen. Or at least if it has I don't realize it. But patients do in time rely on everyone they come into contact with.

When you have a caregiver, be it your spouse, your kids, or a nurse in a facility of some sort, you can only hope they are doing what is good for you.

Your decision making goes out the window, along with common sense most of the time.

So, thank you. The caregiver. Whether you have been doing this for decades, or just started yesterday. You are a hero in my book. I know what the sacrifices are.

Some day I won't, but I do now. And I want to take every opportunity to let caregivers know they are needed. Even though some patients can no longer show it, you are needed...