Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sleepless Nights and Dementia

Sleepless nights. We all have dealt with this. Caregivers especially. When their loved one is up for whatever reason they too have to be, because you never know what will happen.
I am blessed in a way, I do have many sleepless nights but I am still at a stage as to when I get up, at least Phyllis June can stay in bed. 
I think we went to bed about 11:00 last night. It took me a long time to get to sleep and I was wide awake at 2:00. 
When this happens it throws my entire day into a tail spin of course. From the time a patient wakes up till the time they indeed go back to sleep, their minds are racing.
It's just what happens. We become mentally drained because of this disease and add the lack of sleep into the mix then you have a real disaster waiting to happen.
I can only imagine what it is like to try to care for your loved one with three, four hours sleep daily and sometimes less. This becomes a bad situation for everyone.
The caregiver obviously is on thin ice from lack of sleep and even their decision making can be impaired at times because of this.
I will indeed lay down sometime today. But it sure puts a damper on what is already an impossible situation at times. With patients like I said we are constantly fighting with memory deficits and being mentally drained.
Add to that the lack of sleep and you have a real issue. I don't know which is worse, dealing with this or trying to explain to people that there is just nothing that can be done for this situation.
I take enough medication at times to drop a full grown elephant. I also take sleeping pills prescribed by my doctor. They don't work. Never have. Dealing with the lack of sleep is something I have dealt with for years now.
I remember my doctor telling me to get sleep whenever I can. It doesn't matter if its in the middle of the day or whenever. In other words, don't worry that your loved one seems to be sleeping too much.
My guess is they rarely get any good restful sleep at all, and if they do it's very rare. Like I said I have been battling this lack of sleep for as long as I can remember.
Which one would think would not be very long given my condition. One day there will be something that can be done for the sleepless nights patients have to deal with.
And, when that happens, that too will filter down to the caregiver getting more restful sleep as well. One day, there just isn't anything that can be done right now.
I have done everything to try to get a restful sleep. I have heard all the suggestions, and tried many things. All to no avail. I have even had some people suggest a a sleep clinic.
The problem is this issue stems from dementia. And it just isn't something that can be "fixed" in a sleep clinic for example.
The one thing I do know, there isn't anything on tv at two in the morning. Thank God for Mp....I read some posts that I have missed during the wee hours in the morning.