Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Dementia Patients "Suffer" From Sleep Deprivation

What's more unpredictable than the weather? We hear this all the time. You can't depend on the weather. Here in Ohio the ongoing joke is if you don't like Ohio weather, just wait, it will change any minute.

What's more unpredictable than the weather, dementia of course. Those who aren't effect by it will never understand. Those who are, be it a patient, family member, caregiver, or just a friend will know what I am talking about.

All the ribbons, all the walks, all the Dementia Awareness months is not doing anything. You really have a be a patient to understand the dismay when it comes to how little is being done to combat this horrible disease.

I suffer as others do, many things. Now, some elite expert wants to take the word sufferer out of the equation. Another colossal blunder. This is how far we have come in the fight against dementia.

Don't use the term "sufferer". It's no wonder I sometimes get a bit testy when I hear these things. You have to be a special kind of stupid to think by not calling me a "sufferer" I don't suffer. Or any other patient doesn't.

It's absurd. What I am battling now is sleeplessness. I have always had issues with sleeping, but the last few days have been extremely rough.

I went to bed about 11:30 last night. Was wide awake at 1:10am, and got up at 2:15. One cannot realize what this does to you. You have memory issues, stress, bouts of anxiety, and then on top of all of that, sleepless nights.

The only good thing about this is Phyllis June doesn't need to get up and watch me. Thank God. To those caregivers who have to get up with their loved one, you too know what I am talking about.

When you don't get enough sleep, everything is effected. Starting with your cognitive ability, which for the most part is already horrible. I will have to have Phyllis June call my doctor and get a stronger sleep medication, or I will have to take more of what I am on.

This two, three, four hours sleep nightly is getting to me. I remember my doctor saying you will sleep when you are sleepy. That all sounds well and good, until three in the morning, night after night.

I hate to complain when many others are suffering, yes suffering far worse than I, but I tell you, when you can't sleep it really effects every thing. Which like I said is already not going so good.

©  Rick Phelps  2016