Monday, May 16, 2016

There are No Survivors

When you hear someone say:

 "Mom has gotten better the past few weeks, here Alzheimers has actually reversed itself".

"Dad's progression has slowed since he's been on his new medication. It has slowed his progression immensely."

"My husband does things now, that he couldn't do before. Things that he had forgotten. I know he is getting better. I just know it".

"I read where there are new drugs out right now that will slow the progression of Alzheimers."

All of these statements and many, many more I have heard one time or another. And they are truly believed.

It is human nature for us to want the best for our loved ones. No matter what the circumstance.

If you granddaughter was fired for being late at her job, the time clock is to blame. If you brother is losing his house, it's the banks fault. If you hear something you thought was gospel and repeat it, you are doing so because that is what you truly believe.

Most of these claims hurt no one. If you think your loved one is not progressing anymore, good for you. If you think the drugs they are now taking has slowed or even reversed the disease, again, that's your prerogative.

I suppose I haven't had to deal with some of these claims because when I was diagnosed I had known for a few years something was terribly wrong.

And when the official diagnosis came, it was like a relief to me. Since then I have been on a campaign of sorts that deals with reality.

The reality is this disease, Alzheimers, it does not stop progressing. This disease does not some how miraculously reverse itself. And there is no drug out right now to either cure or slow the disease.

How do I know this? Because there hasn't been one survivor of Alzheimers. Not one. The reality is Alzheimers is a terminal disease. Terminal in this case meaning no one survives.

If your loved one has been diagnosed with Alzheimers, they will progress. They will get worse. And in the end they will succumb to the disease.

People who tell you other wise are not bad people. They are just wrong...sometimes it's not ignorant people, it's people ignorant of the disease.

©  Rick Phelps  2016